Clinical documentation - Admissions & Discharges
- Completed in DMR by ICU HMO or registrar
- Identify possible discharges the day before if possible
- Patients ready for discharge remain under ICU care until they are discharged
- Patients are sometimes discharged to CCU (~1%) and home (~5%)
- The junior doctors and nurses have clear guidelines as to what needs to happen when a patient is discharged, including a discharge summary, verbal handover, new drug chart and IV fluids when appropriate, and a “time out” to ensure all these things have occurred prior to the patient leaving.