Courtesy of Dr Sanjay Porwal, 2016
Echocardiography and USS machine - guidelines for use
There are 2 machines in ICU
1. Site Rite
- To be used as default for all central and arterial line insertions (Not Phillips Sparq)
- It should be cleaned (with 'V wipes') and then returned to its designated storage place to avoid overcrowding of the ICU floor.
- Please be sure to look after the probe ie. don’t keep it in the basket underneath its screen or on the floor!
2. Phillips Sparq:
- Multipurpose USS machine
- Used for line insertion only in difficult patients where Site Rite is giving poor images.
- ECHOs: TTEs and TOEs
- Thoracic USS
- PLEASE DON’T USE ‘V WIPES’ TO CLEAN TOUCH PANEL
- ‘V WIPES’ only for ECG leads, probes and rest of the machine.
- Please plug it back to the power point
- DON’T SHUT DOWN the machine.
- USE HALF MOON instead so it can be used quickly for another study.
- Please make sure ECG leads, probes, gel bottles and ECG dots are on their designated spots on the machine.
- If you are intending to complete a formal echocardiographic or ultrasound study, please make sure you enter patients details before you start your study
- For line insertion, thoracentesis, paracentesis you don’t need to enter details